Consummate dilettantism!

Monday, November 24, 2008

Caffeine Sucks

Perhaps I have an extremely high tolerance to caffeine, but I have not been able to realize any of its vaunted psychoactive effects. Four cups of coffee does nothing to me. Nothing.

A few days ago I drank two cups of coffee in the morning and two cups in the afternoon. I felt nothing. Today I drank three cups of coffee in ten minutes and likewise felt nothing beyond placebo (and an urge to urinate). It's a shame, too; the dining hall has a free adenosine antagonist, and I can't make use of it!

I should add that no energy drink, even when consumed very quickly, has ever sped me up.

Ah! Look at what I've found! Apparently, caffeine only "works" because of the alleviation of withdrawal symptoms. But regardless, the researchers do note that it is supposed to provide a "buzz" in new users.

Some people have reported that caffeine does not affect (or even depresses) those with ADHD. I don't think I have ADHD, but I may have less adenosine than most people.

No comments:

Post a Comment