Consummate dilettantism!

Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Chinese On The Internet

On the one hand we have this:On the other we have this:Despite the fact that only 10-20% of Chinese use the internet, the language is its second most popular. With China's increasing modernization, these figures are set to explode, and I predict with some confidence that within twenty years Chinese will become the internet's #1 language.

Conclusion: Although I am decidedly reserved about the prospect of Chinese overtaking English as a global lingua franca (in fact, I do not think it will ever happen, for reasons I make clear here), I think learning Chinese is a solid investment if only for the reason mentioned in this post.

1 comment:

  1. Have you ever taken a look at the present position and future potential of Esperanto?

    Take a look at www.esperanto.net

    ReplyDelete