Consummate dilettantism!

Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Swordsmanship

Have you guys seen the movie Hero? You know the scene where the emperor looks at the character painted by the best fighter of them all and goes, “Where’s the swordsmanship in that?” And then later he looks at it and finally gets it? You remember that scene? It's so plain, the character. So plain. Looks like it was made by someone with no skill at all. The artist has mastered the sword, the brush, so flawlessly that he unwilling to use it. He has reached a stage of such utter perfection that he is beyond compare entirely. A state so profound that he realizes its purposelessness. Why?

You know, life is a *lot* like this. A lot. I'm not trying to be really deep or anything, I'm just pointing out that things really work like this. Think about it.

2 comments:

  1. Link is broken. It's obvious where it wants us to go but it doesn't take us there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm no judge of calligraphy, but I'd like to think I have a pretty good eye for film, and I *loved* Hero.

    ReplyDelete