Consummate dilettantism!

Monday, December 1, 2008

Ginger, Zingiber officinale

That's right, common ginger. It's not a psychoactive drug, but it's actually really neat. Used for thousands of years as an safe and healthy culinary spice and medicine, ginger has some very beneficial properties.

Ginger is said (and shown) to facilitate digestion and ward off nausea, so I got a fresh root. I often get motion sickness in cars and plans, especially while reading, so of course I wanted to start experimenting. On a plane, I began to feel nauseated, so I whipped out the ginger root that I had in my backpack and took a bite. Ah, what flavor! The pungency, the bitingly fresh taste! It was very tasty, actually; whether it did anything, I imagined, I could still enjoy this as a tasty and refreshingly revitalizing treat. But to my surprise it actually worked immediately and effectively; the nausea was gone forthwith. It could've been taste-induced placebo, but for the fact that the nausea was gone for too long.

Get some ginger! Now!

Pleasure: 2/5
Distortion: 1/5
Safety: 5/5
Price: 3/5
Usefulness: 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment